- The first thing we play at each lesson is our B-Flat Scale. This scale should be memorized and played with all of these notes in the following order:
G A B C D E F# G F# E D C B A G
- We will be learning a few more scales this year (there are 60 in total!)
- After we play our scale, we will go through our playing assignment to be sure that each student mastered the previous week’s material.
- I teach the children to practice using the “Count it — Sing it — Play it” method.
- If the section of music contains eighth notes, the student can count the rhythm of the music
- Then, sing the letters of the music — using the same rhythm that was used to count the music. The student might have to sing the section a few times in order to sing with the proper rhythm
- Then, play the music — at the same speed that they counted and sang it.
- After a student masters a small section of music (2 or 4 measures), go on to the next small section of music.
- By the end of 1 week of practice, the student should be able to play their assignment(s) with precision – and earn a grade of 100 in the grade book!